CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome to My World!

Friday, May 27, 2011

Another Crazy Week!

My last post was Sunday, May 22nd at 7:11am.  The day started out so nice.  Judy and I worked out in the yard all morning and then fixed hamburgers on the grill for  lunch.  She headed in to get ready to go Megan's dance thing and I headed out to find new pillows for my swing out back.  I love the way I changed around the furniture.  About 5, I came on inside and started getting laundry started and finishing up that "weekend to-do" list.  Well, TV was on and we started getting breaks in the show alerting everyone to the impending weather over in Joplin.  About 5:30, all hell broke lose.  A massive tornado hit Joplin, beginning with St. John's Hospital.  Early reports were that it took a direct hit... later, it was devastated... then, the tornado was on the ground and was massive... then, they were talking about a debris ball. Lisa came over and said "we're all headed to Sarah and Dale's".  I had such a funny feeling about it... I packed up my computer, my external hard drive, medicine and socks and headed out front, not knowing if I'd come back to my house like I left it.  I was so fortunate because we got nothing.  However, Joplin was not so fortunate.  Damage reports started rolling in... devastating damage... fatalities... semi's overturned on I-44... city shut down.  By morning, the news (local and national) was consumed with photos and interviews and death counts and missing people and businesses gone.  By Tuesday night, I felt so helpless.  I wanted to do something for those poor people, but what could I do... just one person.  Someone made a comment to me on Facebook (Janette, i will never forget) and suggested that someone should do a fundraiser crop, hint, hint.  It was like a rocket went off in my brain... well, as of right now, I have a steering committee of 12 people, a 30 hour crop planned for June 10 and 11, 30 some people already signed up, more prizes and auction items donated that what we know what to do with right now... a venue (donated)... food (donated) and a goal of $10,000 set.  And 2 weeks to make it happen.  And I know it will.  I am ready and my team is ready.  Next week is my big conference, but I'll be totally available by email and Keli is keeping track of the registrations and all is good.  Crazy, but good.  I'll update next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment